Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy 8th Birthday, Mads!

Yep, this is Madeline. Mads, I like to call her. She is 8 today.

As usual, this is my "birthday" blog, so I'll let you know how Mads has grown this past year.

She loves her webkinz. "Nonnie" got her 3 for her birthday. Well, there was a buy-two-get-one-free special on at the Hallmark store and how can you pass that up? She picked the hedghog (cute as a button) the bulldog (the free one) and one other that I can't remember but it's pretty cute, too. If you don't know what webkinz are, they are stuffed animals that come with codes and you can put the codes in at "webkinz.com" and play with them online and you get points for doing things like jobs, etc. They can also play with their friends who might be online, too. She loves it and if she's on the computer, it's usually playing webkinz.

She also likes to read my blog. I think she is fulfilling my ideals of her. I see her reading the blogs about her and I notice her being more and more like the previous "birthday" blogs I've written about her.

The way she dresses is still "avant garde". The unusual is what she likes. Lots of colors, stripes, the wilder the better.

She's still a pleaser. Last night when we went to store I think she could sense I didn't really want to cook cupcakes for her to take to school today. Maybe my saying "I really don't want to cook cupcakes tonight" gave her a clue. She picked brownie bites instead. I love her for that. Yeah, I may be denying her real wants but, hey, let's face it, I'll have to make a cake this weekend so she'll get what she wants, eventually. She loves those brownie bites, anyway. I hope.

She's always coming up with funny things to say, too. One day we were leaving school and she told Sadie something that wasn't necessarily a lie but not really the truth and Sadie said "why did you say that?" Madeline says "look, I'm stressed out, OK?" We (Jackie and I) laughed at her even the next day about that one.

Jackie has fallen in love with Madeline. She keeps telling her she's going to be her momma because sometimes I'm not in the office when Madeline gets up there and Jackie tells her she's going to take her home and be her momma. At first, Madeline was a little taken aback, but now she's warmed up to it and loves Jackie, too. For Mads' birthday, Jackie made her a bag (well, bought the bag and embroidered on it) that says "Princess in training" and put her "M" on the other side. It's very cute.

She's still a snuggler. If she's had a bad day or isn't feeling 100% she wants to crawl up with me and snuggle. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that. Madeline snuggling is the best. She'll snuggle with her Nonnie when she's here, too.

My Madeline is growing up. I don't know where the time has gone. I can remember the day I had her like it was yesterday (or the few days ago when it was frigid cold out). It was a very cold day and she came fast. Maybe 2 hours from start to finish? She knew what to do when she got out, too. Literally crawled right up my tummy and found the food (if you know what I mean, and I think you do).

I can't wait to see what this year holds. I know she will take first communion this year so her spiritual growth is already taking place. She had her first "penance" or "confession". Didn't take her long, as she said "I only had two". Hmmmm, not to judge or anything but a little more examination of that conscience might be in order. But, that's between her and God.

All in all, she is still a great kid. Funny, bright, beautiful - inside and out - and special in many ways. Madeline, I look forward to this next year with you. I love you!

No comments: